Saturday, April 29, 2006

Risking to Embrace the Sea of Fog


As I was researching Caspar Friedrich (1774-1840), a Romantic artist, I stumbled upon one of his paintings: "The Sea of Fog". It depicts a man standing at the top of a mountain, gazing out at the scenery that lays before him. He is looking at a series of mountains but can hardly make them out because a thick fog has woven its way in and around the mountains.

As I was looking at this work of art, I was so challenged by it because I could relate to it. Like this man, I was metaphorically standing on the top of a mountain, feeling as if I had climbed my way up in the world. As I was making my way up my 'mountain', I was stumbling deep into pride, anticipating seeing a clear horizon at the top. However, when I came to the top, what lay before me was nothing I expected. I was mistaken. When I looked at this painting, I was at a a point in my life where I was so confused, frustrated and unable to rely on my own rationale. I felt like I couldn't completely rely on my faith in God either, because He wasn't giving me clear cut answers. But in this painting, the fog was depicted so richly beautiful. Instead of expecting to see a clear horizon, expecting to receive clear answers, I began to see that there is beauty in mystery.

I want my life to be that of trust... to strive to enjoy mystery instead of striving to always understand. I can't even begin to understand our great and awesome God, and I can't completely understand the journey that He has lead me on thus far. But it's wonderful, it's beautiful and I love it! So... here's to the first blog (cheers!)... may it mark the life of one striving to trust God, to cling to His leadership, and not to comprise for any other.

1 Comments:

Blogger misneach said...

Sarah, I genuinely hope you find what you are looking for in this journey. I don't know if you'll ever really find the answers you're looking for, but perhaps it's the journey, more than the destination, that makes us who we are.
"A Way can be a guide, but not a fixed path." -Tao Te Ching

April 29, 2006 6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home